Picture yourself naked.
I mean, picture your audience naked.
That’s the advice you’ve been given to help calm the nerves during public speeches…
Now I’ve never been one to try this “technique” because
- I have other methods
- Well…to be honest I don’t want to picture my audience naked… That’s plain weird.
Well my friend, believe it or not, networking is actually a form of public speaking because you are in essence getting in front of strangers, in an unknown location, and presenting yourself to the public.
This can be a daunting task for many, and even the most experienced professionals get stage fright…
Did you know that Johnny Carson had massive stage fright every night before he went out in front of the television?
Did you know Barbara Streisand actually cancelled touring for years because she couldn’t get a grip on controlling her stage fright?
Did you know Adele has so much stage fright that she regularly puke’s before going on stage?
Yep it’s true. It affects 99% of us. Myself included. The only difference is if you let the fright consume you and prevent you from doing what it is you need to do.
That’s the trick and what separates the men from the boys. Real men (and women) face their fears and conquer them.
They know that fear stands for “False Evidence Appearing Real”, and the only 2 fears you are born with are:
- the fear of loud noises
- the fear of falling
Every other fear is a learned fear. And if it’s a learned fear, that means you can conquer it!
Now easier said than done right?
No problem. I have outlined some tips to help you sharpen your networking skills, and in essence these tips will actually attract people to you (rather than you chasing them), making you a “Magnetic Networker”.
To become a magnetic networker you’ll need to follow these tips:
- Put the focus away from yourself. The majority of people like talking about themselves, they don’t give a damn about you or your company (that is not until you show them value). When you are talking about yourself all they are doing is thinking about what they are going to tell you about themselves next (HINT: don’t do this). Instead learn to be a good listener and be truly interested in the other person
- Ask specific questions that show you are listening and interested, and let the conversation go where ever it goes. Maybe you end up talking about the redsox, a vacation spot, or even a dinner joint you both like.
- Be sure to collect their contact information. There is no point in going if you are not going to follow up with these people and build up your network
- Introduce them to other people who may be able to help them. Maybe you’re not the best person to help them, but introducing them to someone who can help will help you stand out and they will remember it.
- Add them to your email database so you can follow up systematically (learn the system here)
- Think long-term – Big players arn’t just going to “fall into your lap”. You need to find them. And then you need to build the relationships, stay infront of them, and prove your value over time to make big things happen.
Over time relationships will build naturally.
All you need to do is focus on the other person and how you can help them. That’s the real trick. Provide value, and you will start seeing people reach out to you.
And when people start reaching out to you, that’s when you become a “magnetic networker”.
Now exactly what kind of value do you provide?
We can make a whole course on the subject, and we will (maybe we have by the time you finish reading this)… but we provide plenty of idea’s in our MENTORSHIP program.
There is even a free 7-day trial, so you can get instant access for 7 days. If within that 7 days you decide it’s not for you… well simply send us an email and your card will never be charged and we will destroy all evidence that we even had your card.
It’s that simple.
So go check it out now and learn exactly how you can provide value and become a master at Magnetic Networking.
Use the tips outlined above to get started on sharpening your networking skills, and overtime (a lot longer than if you had all the information now) you can become a master at attracting your network.
Chris M Cordova
CFO Better Tomorrow Group
Chris is an active investor, Realtor, Broker, marketer, serial entrepreneur, and co-founder of Better Tomorrow Group. Follow Better Tomorrow Group on Instagram @bettertomorrowgroup on Twitter/Periscope @TheBTgroup and Facebook at Better Tomorrow Group. If you would like a FREE copy of Flipping Your Thoughts On Flipping Follow this LINK.